Saturday, November 14, 2015

Is the Test Hard?


Friday was assessment day in science. It was the second major assessment of the space unit. It’s a big test. I am assessing their understanding of five learning targets:

  • I can name, identify, and describe all the phases of the moon.
  • I can identify and label the difference between a spring and neap tide.
  • I can identify and label the different positions of the Earth’s tilt.
  • I can explain why the tilt of the Earth causes the four seasons.
  • I can compare and contrast how the big bang and gravity played a role in the formation of the planets, stars, the solar system, the galaxies, and the universe.

I fielded a series of questions from one student who, I think, was trying to gauge how tortuous the test was going to be.

Student: “How hard is the test?”
Teacher: “That also depends on how well you know the material. If you know your stuff, it’s easy. If you don’t it’s hard.”
Student: “How long will the test take?” 
Teacher: “That depends on how well you know the material. It would take me about 15 minutes.”
Student: “How long will it take me?” 
Teacher: “I don’t know. That depends on how well you know it. That’s what I’m trying to find out - how well you understand the material.”

<Pause>

Student: “May I go to the bathroom?”

I don’t think I provided her any of the information she was seeking.



No comments:

Post a Comment