Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Secret Of The Morse Code

My room is one of the most over-used spaces in a building full of over-used spaces. Someone is teaching in my room during every block most days. My room is used for enrichment after school and meetings before school. It is one of the designated indoor recess rooms and, I offer extra help in math and science during most other lunch/recess times.


Let’s just say there is a lot of traffic in and out of my room.


I would like to have some personal memento on my desk. Unfortunately, I do not feel comfortable having something very personal like a picture of my wife or family in my classroom. I do not want to spend precious class time answering endless questions about my family.


My solution is Morse Code.


Some students have spotted it. Some have tried to decipher it. A few, I have taken into my trust and shared the secret of the Morse Code.

I can’t take credit for the idea - it was Thomas Yawkey, former owner of the Boston Red Sox, who inspired me. Just as he did on the big scoreboard on the left field wall, I have secretly placed the initials of my wife and myself on the wall of my room.


It’s a way of reminding me of who is most central in my life. It is my way of honoring and thanking my wife for all her support. It is my “family picture” in Morse Code form.


And, eighth grade, now that you know the “secret” keep it one. Don’t ruin it for next year’s crop of eighth graders. Let me have my fun with them...

1 comment:

  1. aw, i always wondered there was tape on there (:

    ReplyDelete