Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Milkweed Bug Redemption

It would be fair to say my wife was not really happy when I brought home a plastic bag with some bugs in it, but now things have gotten out of hand. 

When I did my training on how to teach the 7th grade science curriculum one of the things we did was to make a sample habitat for milkweed bugs. Nothing like a hands-on activity to help you learn how to do something. 

My milkweed bug habitat is about two weeks ahead of the ones we have in the classroom. Let me tell you, my bugs have been quite busy and my plastic bag is full of milkweed bugs of all sizes. 

I probably have a hundred nymphs in various stages of development in my habitat. 

On Sunday, I walked into my office and lo and behold - a tiny milkweed bug was standing on my keyboard. 

He (or she) had escaped.

How’d he (or she) get out?

I carefully looked over the habitat and could find no openings beside the tiny airholes at the top - and he (or she) was too big to fit through one of those. 

I took my tiny escapee - I named him (or her) Andy (or Andi) after a character in a famous movie - and plopped him (or her) back into the habitat. 

But, that’s it for my milkweed bug experiment at home. I’ll be bringing it into school before the Andy (or Andi) tells all the other milkweed bugs how to get out of the joint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment