Sunday, January 14, 2018

Fashion Over Function

Fashion is not something I know a lot about. It’s not something that usually interests me. I mean, seriously, I wear khakis to school every single day. But, even I have noticed a new fashion trend - ripped jeans. 

I first noticed this a couple of years ago and what I’ve seen happen over time is the rips have gotten more extreme. Now, it’s more like shredded jeans. 

I understand. 

I wore ripped jeans when I was a middle and high school student, too. I have been told these rips are somehow made so they do not continue to rip. I’m not sure how the designers do that, but I guess they have a way. My ripped jeans were done the old fashioned way - I wore them out. 

One of my favorite pair of jeans had about a 2 inch rip at the knee. It matched the 2 inch scar on my knee. I was ice skating and fell. somehow the blade of my skate sliced into my jeans and knee. Ouch!

But now, in the 21st century we buy our ripped jeans off the rack.

A few days ago, I asked a student, who was wearing extremely ripped jeans, if she wore those jeans when it was very cold out - on those days when it was below zero.

She said she had worn them on those super-cold days. 

“Were your legs cold?” I asked.

She sheepishly replied that, yes her legs were very cold.

Hmmmmm, if only there was a way to avoid that problem…

No comments:

Post a Comment