Saturday, February 3, 2018

I'm Doing Modeling On The Weekends

I’m modeling on the weekends. 

No, it’s not what you think. I’m not posing for pictures. I’m not doing runway shows in my lab coat. I’m not featured as the science teacher in catalogs of science equipment.

I’m building models. 

I started building model kits when I was a kid - probably in middle school. I’ve built mostly plastic kits - cars, planes, ships…lots and lots of ships. 

About ten years ago, I stopped building. I have carpel tunnel syndrome and the job I had at that time made it worse. It hurt my hands to work with small parts, so I had to stop. The joy I received from building wasn’t worth the pain I felt doing the work. 

But, I've started building again. 

As you may have noticed, I’ve added a shelf near my desk. Later, I will be adding a second, matching shelf. 

Right now, I’m working on a series of human spaceflight vehicles. That’s what the shelves are for. I’m building the rockets that NASA has used to take Americans to space. I’m not building them in order but they will be displayed that way.

The first rocket I built was Alan Shepard’s Mercury Redstone. This was the first rocket that took an American into space. It was a quick flight - up to space and and back down - Shepard did not orbit Earth.

The next rocket in the progression is John Glenn’s Mercury Atlas. This rocket was powerful enough to launch Glenn into orbit.

After Mercury, NASA switched to two-astronaut vehicles called Gemini. Gemini was designed to practice all the steps needed to take people to the Moon. Gemini sat atop an even more powerful rocket - the Titan II.

After Gemini, came the three-crewed Apollo program featuring the most powerful rocket to ever fly - the Saturn V. 

After that, I’ve got a space shuttle to do and, if I can find affordable kits, the International Space Station and the new Space Launch System with Orion spacecraft. 

I’m building models again. My hands aren’t bothering me much so I’m really enjoying it again. I wish more young people were interested in building models. It’s fun and challenging. I get a real sense of accomplishment taking a box of parts and, using the included instructions, creating a miniature version of a huge ship, rocket or aircraft. 

If you’d like to try it, talk to me. I can fix you up with a kit and some glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment