Sunday, April 22, 2018

Rock On!

Ever since I became a teacher, I’ve always played music in my room.

At the Bartlett, my room came with a sound system…and I use it…and I play it loud. 

In the early morning hours, long before students and even most teachers arrive, I plug my phone into the sound system and hit “play.” 

Playing music pumps me up helps me focus on what I need to get done before all you students show up. It’s like audio-caffeine.

I’ve created a couple of school playlists that are, generally, upbeat, happy songs. They are all school-appropriate as far as language and content and are a mix of, really, all genres. 

I often play music during my prep at 10am and I know students can hear it as they stroll past my room on their way to the restroom or office. There’s nothing like hearing screaming guitars when I’m grading science notebooks or building a test.

I’ve got Pop, Rock (a lot of Rock), Soundtracks, R&B, Blues, Folk, Alternative, Country, Easy Listening (My parents style of music), Jazz, Punk, World, Soul, Disco, Zydeco and Latino. It’s a little bit of everything, because there is nothing I like more than variety.

I will occasionally play music while students are working, especially during STEM Club meetings.

At one school where I taught, the rule was that we could only play classical music during class. I’m not a huge fan of classical and the kids groaned whenever I put it on - they would rather nothing than classical. But, I found a workaround. I played some Emerson, Lake and Palmer - a 1970’s group that played classical music with rock instruments and selections from Electric Light Orchestra and the Brian Setzer Orchestra (Heck, they’re Orchestras, right?).

Of course, we’re all working towards that glorious day, waiting for that one song to come on, the last song of the year, the one I play on the last day…by Alice Cooper…School’s Out.

Rock on - less than ten weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment