Saturday, June 9, 2018

My Walk-a-thon Experience

It seems about ten percent of the the 7th and 8th grade opted to stay home rather than participate in our annual fundraising walk-a-thon

Really? 

What’s with that?

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience for those who missed out on the event. 

Friday was a perfect late spring day - clear skies, comfortable temperatures with very low humidity (7th grade - remember, that’s a vocabulary word). The route is from the end of the driveway, over a canal, into a park, through part of Umass-Lowell, then back across the athletic fields to the school. 

It’s a one mile walk - not exactly a grueling event. I mean, we’re not running a marathon, or scaling El Capitan here, right?

I was at the front of the 8th grade section. Here’s the transcript of what I said during the walk-a-thon:

“Please, go slower, do not run ahead.”

“Wait, you are going too fast.”

Please, slow down.”

“Wait.”

“Stop.”

“Please, stay on the walkway.”

“Please, put the stick down.”

“Put the stick DOWN!”

“DROP THAT STICK, RIGHT THIS SECOND!”

“Please stay on the sidewalk.”

“Please stay on the path.”

“STAY OUT OF THE STREET!”

“Please do not touch the garbage cans.”

“Please do not touch other people's property.”

“Please, do not run ahead.”

“Please, wait for the group to catch up.”

“Wait for the group to catch up.”

“STOP! Wait for the group to catch up.”

“Please do not throw rocks.”

“I’m sorry, we’re out of ice pops.”

<sigh>

No comments:

Post a Comment