Saturday, February 24, 2024

Reaching Out

One of my favorite things about the internet and social media is the ability to reach out to people who once would have been unreachable. 

Here’s what I’m talking about: Over the past several years I have made it a point to reach out to the people who’s videos I use in the classroom. I tell them how I use them and thank them for creating such great content. I have thanked The Amoeba Sisters, Danica McKellar, and Mary Poffenroth (The Punnett Square lady). 


Here’s the cool thing - they all have acknowledged my tweets and emails and seem to appreciate the thanks.


The internet and social media have made this much easier than it ever was. I frequently interact with scientists, writers on twitter. I’m amazed at how many of them are really quite accessible. 


Next time you come into my room, take a look at the little posters on the window of the books I

am reading or have read. You will notice once called I. Asimov. I am reading his memoir right now. He is considered one of the most important science fiction writers of all time. But, he wrote over 500 books on hundreds of different topics - fiction, non-fiction - you name it. 


A long time ago, I was doing a lot of freelance writing and wrote a letter to him asking for his advice on how to make writing my full-time job. I was stunned, when his reply showed up in my mailbox (This was long before email, the internet or social media existed).


I guess my message is, don’t be afraid to reach out to people - even if they are “important” or “famous,” you might be surprised.



PS While researching my own twitter account for this post, I noticed that the lead singer for one of my all-time favorite bands follows me!  Go figure.


No comments:

Post a Comment