Thursday, September 26, 2024

The Price of Youth and Inexperience

 “Oh to be young again 

Oh to be free again 

To be setting out 


To have the whole of the road before one 


To know it an adventure 


One cannot know the end of -"


Youth is a wonderful thing…but not a perfect thing.


I remember the days when I had hair, when everything did not ache, when I could bend over to pick something up with out my back and knees making horrifying cracking sounds. 


I also remember making mistakes because I could not clearly see the future that was right in front of my eyes.


That’s where being, lets just say "experienced," is a huge advantage. I can clearly see what’s coming next based on what I do today. Maybe this is because I’ve already made so many mistakes at least once or maybe it’s just what happens when you get older, err more experienced. But this is one area where your youth betrays you. 


Progress reports come out October 9th. I’ve mentioned this in each of my classes hoping that the knowledge of the impending report home to your parents and guardians will motivate some of my students. 


But I know, youth means living for today because the future seems so very far away. Even two weeks can seem like almost forever for middle school students. 


Trust me on this - two weeks will go bye in a blink. You’ll be getting your progress report and it will feel like school just started. 


If you’re working hard and doing your work, it will probably be a report filled with good news. If you have been spending your time chatting with friends, and not doing your work, well….I think you know what that progress report will look like.


There is still time to avoid that awkward conversation at home about why your ELA , math or science grade “Needs Improvement,” or worse. Check your grade on Google Classroom, talk to your teachers, get late work in….there is still time to avoid disaster…if you can see that far into the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment