Sunday, September 15, 2024

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

If you are new to my homeroom, there’s something you gotta know: I play music. A lot of music. Walk past my room during my prep period and you’ll hear me playing music. Sometimes I play it so loud, my neighboring teachers have to send a kid over to ask me to turn it down - sorry!

In the early morning, before you guys show up, everyone knows I’m in the building because I’m BLASTING my music. The best part of room 23 is the sound system and I make use of it - trust me. For me, music makes school a more joyful place. 


In my homeroom, we do a thing called Song of the Day. 

Every day, I play a song. Over the course of the week my homeroom students have to figure out how all five songs are related. There is a theme to my selections. 


Some recent themes were: 

    • Songs by artists known primarily by one name - Cher, Adele, Rhianna & Elvis,
    • Songs by artists from Massachusetts - Aerosmith, James Taylor, etc.
    • Songs about vehicles - cars, boats, planes, etc.
    • Songs in Spanish - this was suggested by a student and she came up with great songs!

I have a good time coming up with the themes and songs and, yes, they do reflect my taste in music. If you were to stick your head in Ms. Macinnis’ room, you would notice she also plays music during homeroom. It’s nice, soft, jazzy music. I assume that’s what she likes. In my room you are going to hear a hard driving beat and screaming guitars. I just love me some screaming guitars!


I am open to suggestions for a theme and only have few guidelines. 

    • There must be five songs,
    • It has to be school appropriate,
    • There must be a theme - something that links all five of the songs together,
    • It can’t be obvious - You have to keep people guessing until day four or five.

If you have a suggestion for a theme, even if you need help coming up with the actual songs, let me know. Let’s all have fun with the music!


No comments:

Post a Comment