Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Memories are Funny Things


I recently joined a group on Facebook: “You know you’re from such-and-such a town if....”

I’ve had a lot of fun reminiscing about my life in school when I was a youth. It’s funny what you remember and what you forget.

There was a long discussion of memorable teachers. Some teachers I knew I’d had but could not dredge up a single memory of being in his/her class, what he/she looked like, or even where his/her room was located. I can remember specific lectures from other teachers - I can almost hear their voices in my head. If I went to the school today, I could walk right into their room - I remember exactly where it was.

Some nicknames I remember - my Elementary school principal, Mr. Hopkins, was called Mr. Hoppy Toes for a little hop he did on the playground once to avoid a rolling ball. Snappy fingers, AKA Mrs. Haller, was my third grade teacher. She could snap her fingers so loud, it could damage your hearing if you were too close.

I recall a student who was in school for the 7th grade but never came back. He drowned that summer in Academy Cove. I was not close to him and I don’t recall his name, but I can picture his face to this day.

I remember my daily (unhealthy) lunch in the high school - two bags of Munchos and two milks. And looking at the list of players who made the middle school baseball team. I don’t remember where my locker was in middle school but I think I remember the combination of my locker in high school.

My Father-in-law is fond of saying “You never know when you’re making a memory,” and he’s right. 

Look around - some of what you see you'll recall vividly when you're older, some will be wiped away with the passage of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment