Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Movies About Students and Learning


A funny thing happened on the way to this blog...

There are no movies about students. 

Well, let me amend that, there are movies about students behaving badly and there are movies featuring students. But, I have been unable to put my finger on a movie truly about being a student.

It seems all the movies I can find are really about teachers - true, there are students involved and some have their own inspirational stories, but these movies seem to be more about teachers.

There’s Rudy - he was a college student but it’s more of a perseverance story than a being-a-student story.

The Paper Chase is about students but it’s really more of a love story with a mean, crotchety, demanding old teacher to spice things up.

And Love Story is all about college students but it’s, obviously, a love story first and foremost that just happens between students.

The Breakfast Club is about students who behaved badly and ended up in detection where they continue to behave badly.

The Miracle Worker fits the bill, but I put it on the other list and I’m not giving any movie a double dip in two blog posts.

There’s Animal House, a personal favorite, but talk about behaving badly.

Little Man Tate, is an excellent movie about a child who turns out to be a genius but it’s more about mom than the student.

I’m sure there must be movies about students equally inspiring and uplifting as the ones about teachers but I can’t think of one.

Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment