Monday, April 28, 2014

Do Kids Even Own Bikes Anymore?


I was thinking about my first day at Wickford Junior High School, now known as Wickford Middle School, the other day.

I can distinctly remember riding my bike to school and locking it up in the bike rack at the rear of the school. There was nothing unusual about riding my bike except that I had ridden to school and stopped there. It was my new school. I had ridden past it hundreds of times. I had a brand new chain and lock to keep it safe while I was in class. Honestly, I probably used that lock five times and then never again. My bike was never stolen. It was a safer time than now.

I rode my bike all over town. I did my (very long) paper route on that bike, with two large baskets hung over the rear wheel. I rode to friends homes and, sometimes, riding my bike was just for fun with no particular destination in mind.

Once, along with a group of friends, I rode my bike from Wickford to Jamestown so we could explore Fort Wetherill together. That trip included a ride over the Jamestown bridge and was probably 25 miles round trip.

I know no parent would ever allow such an adventure today, but things were different when I was a kid. I had a lot more freedom and life was perceived as being safer. My Mom’s biggest worry was that I’d get hit by a car, not abducted by some psycho.

I never hear my students mention having or riding a bike. Do kids even own bikes anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment