Tuesday, April 1, 2014

What is it about 7th graders?


There’s something I’ve noticed about 7th graders that I find funny. It’s not that it doesn’t apply to 6th or 8th graders but it’s more pronounced in the middle grade.

They don’t listen to instructions.

I remember thinking this when I was doing a lot of substitute teaching and I was reminded of it last week when I visited two different 7th grade classes.

No matter how many times a teacher gives instructions, no matter how many ways a teacher provides instructions, someone is going to miss it. 

In both classes I observed, the teachers had the instructions for the day’s work written on the board. Both teachers went over the instructions verbally three times. 

Guess what? 

In both classes, at least five minutes after the rest of the students had started their work,  at least two students in each class asked, “What are we supposed to be doing?”

It’s enough to frustrate a 7th grade teacher to distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment