Monday, February 23, 2015

The End of February and April Vacations?


Because of all the snow, and resulting snow days, the question of how to make up the time is a hot topic. I don’t know what we’ll end up doing at McAuliffe but it seems every school district in the Commonwealth has the same problem. 

I was speaking to a couple of kids I tutor last weekend and was surprised to discover a different approach to winter/spring vacation. They don’t have either;  instead, they get time off in March. 

Break in March? I had never heard of that, so I did some poking around on the internet:

In California, school starts in the middle of August and ends the first week of June. They get one week off in the February/March/April period.

In Minneapolis, (and these guys deal with crazy amounts of snow), they start before Labor Day end before the second week of June and have one week off in the February to April time-frame.

In Juneau, they begin in mid-August, have one week off in March and end the year on June 4th.

Everywhere I looked, it seemed that the two separate breaks in winter/spring were a thing of the past. To be sure, there are a lot of school districts that still have that kind of schedule, but there were a ton that did just one week off.

I wonder, should Massachusetts do away with one of those vacation weeks in the future?

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I don't believe that MA should get rid of a way of the school years schedule, for years this is how we have done it, April and February are the only vacations in the new year(atleast until summer) So should we get rid of them because we got a lot of snow this year? No! its random how snow falls. I think we should keep vacations where they are and thats that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, actually. I think it is better to have a shorter summer when we would forget less information rather than two distinct one week vacations toward the end of the year when we have plenty of work to do and can spend the time wisely if we choose to do so. -RM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rebecca,but probabaly not for the same reasons. I think by having an extremely long vacation you can get awfully bored during some points, because of course you cannot be doing interesting things everyday. Also I think having vacations during the school year would benefit us more because it would allow us to de-stress and relax during tough times, rather than the summer where we would probabaly not have much stress anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just really want the Ferrari...

    ReplyDelete