Monday, June 1, 2015

Three Things I Learned During PARRC Testing

We’ve just finished our second, and final, round of PARCC ( BTW, PARCC stands for Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers) testing for this school year. This round included the science MCAS (Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System) test as well. As a teacher my role is to administer the tests. 

All I can say is thank heavens it’s over.

The Department of Education is a little fanatical about security. They have a host of security measures that the test administrators must follow. Probably the most important is that the test administrator must monitor the students taking the test and do nothing else. As a result, my first take away from the PARRC process is:



1. There is nothing more boring than spending two hours watching people take a test. Really, a total snorefest. I wander around the room, making sure all the students are working on the test, not talking, gesturing or using their pencils to tap out morse code. Honestly, I’d rather take the test than watch people take it.

2. The second thing I learned was that lots of kids raise their arms in the air when they are thinking. Of course, I’m thinking they have a question or problem so I rush over and he or she gives me this bewildered look as if to ask “Why on Earth are you here?”

3. Finally, I don’t think the PARRC people write great questions. From what I saw on the math practice tests, they sometimes bury the question. Instead of wording a problem in a simple and understandable manner, they seem to go out of their way to obscure the knowledge or skill they are testing for. They make it harder than it needs to be.

Anyway, I’m glad it over for the year, and I’m absolutely sure my students are as well.

1 comment:

  1. Oui ! Je pense que vous n'étiez jamais plus correct !

    ReplyDelete