Saturday, January 23, 2016

“We Penetrated Deeper and Deeper Into the Heart of Darkness”

Many say I’m not fair. 

Some accuse me of being cruel. 

A few say I expect too much from them.

One or two insist that my heart is a dark and cold place.

These are my students. They have leveled these charges with great passion.

Ask them. They will not contest that they have hurled these accusations at me on a regular basis. No, they will only repeat their ernest allegations in greater detail.

They will tell you that I hide extra math problems on my worksheets. 

They will insist that I sneak in extra questions on their homework.

I am confident many of my charges will insist that I do not play by the rules, that I am fundamentally unfair.

And, to a degree I have to accept their accusations.

I do “hide” extra problems and “sneak in” extra questions on their homework. 

I am so devious that I have hidden them in the most clever of all places. I have intentionally placed all this extra work where they would never think to look. It is a place so dark and unexplored, so mysterious that they might rightly fear it. 

How have I succeeded in deceiving them so perfectly?

Where could I hide all that extra work?  

Where?

The only place they never think of…..the back side of the paper.

1 comment: