Sunday, February 21, 2016

Taking The Test, Again And Again

A couple of weeks before the February break, I gave my math students a mini-assessment.

When I create an assessment, I start by devising or finding just the right kind of problems to include. 

Once I have the problems I think I want to include, I do each one to make sure it is rigorous enough and lines up exactly with with I am trying to assess - and to see what solving the problem will be like for the students. Then, I put them all together and, voila, I have an assessment. 

I print it, do all the problems one more time to create my answer key complete with all the work, then make copies for all the kiddos.

So, a few weeks ago, after the students took the test, I brought all the completed assessments home to correct.

Lo and behold, I did not have the answer key. I had lost it.

What did that mean?

It meant I had to take the test - again - for the second time (which really means it’s probably my third time doing each of these problems)….just to give myself a key from which to correct the tests.

Soooooo, next time you’re feeling overburdened by one of my five-problem mini-assessments, just remember, I’ve already taken it - probably a few times….and, if I don’t hang on to my key, I’ll have to take it again.


Maybe I should just keep the key in the “I Can’t Trust Myself Drawer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment