Sunday, October 13, 2019

Beware The Gravity Vortex

There is something weird going on in my room. And, no, I’m not talking about the 8th grade. People keep falling off chairs and stools. 

My first thought was “Oh, the new black, wooden stools are a bit slippery” but it has happened to kids sitting on the old stools - and they are not slippery -  and to people sitting in the blue chairs as well. 

I know these kids are not leaning back in their chairs, lifting the chair/stool feet off the ground. I mean, that would just be asking for trouble, right? The lab stools have four legs and four feet and to attempt to balance on just one or two, is just tempting fate, right?

If someone was leaning back on a lab stool and suddenly toppled over and landed in a heap on the floor, no one would say “I didn’t see that coming,” because, well, you do see it coming. It’s inevitable. So, i’m convinced that’s not what’s causing my students to crash to the floor. 

And, that wouldn’t explain how they’re falling out of the blue chairs. Those chairs have two long runners to support them, Those runners are about a foot and a half long and have four little feet on them. They’re pretty sturdy. You really have to work to tip one of those over. The idea of leaning back in one of those seems like more work than it could possibly be
worth. 

No, it’s not my young scholars leaning back in the chairs that’s bringing them smashing into the hard, tile floor. It’s not the slipperiness of the new wooden stools. It has to be something else….

The only thing I can think of is a gravity vortex. 

I picture it like a tornado - but invisible and with gravity and not wind. These gravity vortexes must be all over the school, because I have seen kids falling out of chairs in other classrooms as well. 

Maybe, to keep you kids safe, we should install seatbelts on all the chairs/stools in the school. I’m not sure how to get this done, but I’ll speak to the administration to see how we can make this happen.


Until then, be careful. Watch out for the gravity vortex!

No comments:

Post a Comment