Sunday, October 6, 2019

The Joy of Audiobooks

I enjoy reading. I always have. 

One of my most distinct memories of middle school is walking home (I was a walker because I lived less than a mile from school (but, truthfully, it was about 12 feet less than a mile)) after school while reading “Reach for the Sky.” This is one of my favorite books and I’ve read it several times. It’s about a World War II fighter pilot who had lost his legs in a plane crash. I literally could not put
it down.

Each year, I set a goal for myself to read 20 books and I always exceed that number. As I write this, at the end of July, I am on book number 21 for 2019, so I’ve exceeded my goal again. (Maybe I need to set higher goals).

Recently, I have found reading in the evenings very difficult. I get tired after a few pages so it’s hard to get through a 300 page book, 5 pages a night. But, I listen to books - mostly in the car. 

Listening is easier than reading, and I spend a lot of time in the car. I get through a lot of books by listening. I don’t retain the information as well as actually reading it, so sometimes I’ll re-listen to a book or a chapter if I really want to “get it.”

Some of our science textbooks are available as audiobooks too, if you’re interested in listening rather than reading, see me. We can figure out how to get the audio version of the textbook on your phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment