Sunday, September 18, 2022

The Science Shirts

You have probably noticed that, most often, I am wearing a science-themed t-shirt. It’s kind of become a signature thing for me and it started with a gift from a fellow science teacher at the school I taught at before coming to the Bartlett. 

It’s the green one I still wear occasionally that says “I’m Awesome - It’s Science.” Sometimes, we’d wear our matching shirts on the same day.

As of this writing, I have over 50 different science/engineering shirts. I have certain shirts I only wear for certain days (Like the Christa McAuliffe shirt I only wear on NASA’s Day of Remembrance), and some shirts I wear a lot (Like the “Equality is Not Rocket Science” shirt or the one that has a rocket ship made out of stacked up books). 


Last year, when were were studying the ecosystem at Mono Lake in California, I was standing in the cafeteria and overheard the following exchange between students:

“What does his shirt say?”  

“Mono Lake.“

“Of course it does. I love that he does this.”


An 8th grader once asked, “Do you have, like, regular clothes? I mean non-science shirts, like button up shirts?” I assured her I have the complete wardrobe from button-up shirts to suits and sports coats, dress shirts and ties, polo shirts and non-science t-shirts. I’m not really sure she believed me. 


I do this because it’s fun and it gives me another thing to talk about. I have answered countless questions about what my shirt says or means and it’s a fun way to talk about science. 


When I’m standing in the hallway when you arrive, I am often asked, “What are you wearing?” And then, as I strike a pose so my shirt can be seen, its my own little red-carpet moment, but, of course, with a lot less paparazzi.

No comments:

Post a Comment