Tuesday, June 10, 2014

SWBAT...


What is SWBAT?

To explain this, I have to backtrack a little and provide some background information.

I have to keep track of what lessons I teach, what resources I use, how they align with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks for math or science, and when I teach it. 

This is a requirement of the Hellenic American Academy and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. My lesson plans are a legal document. They are the proof of what I teach and how I teach it.

I created a form that provides space for all that information and more. I also keep track of what I assign for homework, what chapters and sections in the text the lesson relates to, what outside resources I use, and the objective of the lesson.

I also write the objective of the lesson on the left side of the big white board in the front of my room but I’m pretty sure no one ever reads it. 

The objective usually begins with “Students will be able to...”

Examples: 

SWBAT place fractions, decimals and percents on a number line. SWBAT compare and order fractions, decimals and percents.

SWBAT solve multi-step equations using distributive property and combining like terms.

SWBAT to whine about tests and quizzes in English, Greek and Spanish.

Oh, and by-the-way, that last example, and more crazy objectives, were posted to my white board for the past week before anybody noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment