Sunday, November 23, 2014

Breadcrumbs?


At the end of nearly every class I can be assured of at least two things. 

First, someone is going to leave something behind.

Sometimes, I find water bottles, snacks or entire backpacks. Often, I find pens, pencils or pencil boxes. Usually, it’s paper of some sort - hand-outs, do-now’s, exit tickets, notes, permission slips or homework. 

Whenever I find a homework assignment, I know someone is going to tell me the next day “I didn’t get one,” which I know, is probably not true because I’ve found it under his or her desk. 

I have always assumed the leaving of stuff behind was due to some overall lack of organizational skills but, it occurs to me, there may be other potential explanations.

Perhaps, my forgetful students are just so over-burdened with paper and supplies that they simply can not bear the weight of one more sheet of paper. The paper that broke the camels back as it were.

Maybe, they are simply being very efficient. If they are due back in my room for, say health class, later in the day, maybe they’ll just leave the paper for later and not lug it around all day.

Of course it could be for navigation. Maybe they are simply leaving a trail of papers so they can find their way back to my room - much like a trail of breadcrumbs.

I’m not sure what the reason for all the things left behind, but I do know two things: There’s gonna be something on the floor when my students leave...and, the second thing, I’m probably gonna pick it up.

2 comments:

  1. sometimes we leave it for the teachers to do our hw for us you know. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the theory that we are overburdened with papers is probably most likely. I have 408 papers (I counted) in my two homework folders for humanities, crew, adventure, math, and science. We also have a humanities and science binder, along with the beast, of course. For this reason, having too many papers is probably the issue . . . but from the standpoint of humor, the efficiency theory is definitely winning. -RM, McKellar Crew

    ReplyDelete