Monday, May 30, 2022

The Water Bottles - An Update

 There’s an old saying “One man’s trash is another man's treasure.” Well, I can update that to “One teacher’s recycling is another teacher’s project materials.”

In about an hour, one of my colleagues from a school where I used to teach will arrive to pick up 8 large garbage bags full of (mostly) empty water bottles. I have not counted them, but I estimate there must be three to four hundred bottles in those bags. 


When I sent her the picture of them piled up at my entryway, she texted back “Heavens! How long did it take to collect all those?” 


I replied “In our middle school, this is about a week and a half’s worth of water bottles.”


She was stunned. In her school, each student has his or her own refillable water bottle.

That’s a better way to do things then wasting gallons and gallons of expensive bottled water.  ‘Nuff said.


So, what are they doing with these hundreds of bottles? They will be used for a 7th grade science project. Each student will set up two identical terrariums where they will plant grass seed. One of the terrariums will be the control and they will change one variable in the other bottle and see what happens. 


Since the twin terrariums will be identical controlled environments, they will be able to observe and measure the effect of changing one thing. 


This seems like a great idea for a project and it’s now something I have tucked back into my mind for potential future use. 


No comments:

Post a Comment