Monday, October 12, 2020

Yes, There is a Sword Hanging in my Office

We all do it…we look for clues about the people we know. On zoom call’s we look at the background of the room people are zooming from. Last Spring, during a 7th and 8th grade team meeting, one of your teachers asked “Is that a sword, hanging on the wall behind you?” 

And, yes, there is a real sword hanging in my home office. 


My home office is where I’m working right now. The 8th grade is very familiar with my home office, but things have changed since the spring, so I figured I’d do an updated tour of my new “classroom.”


To my right, is a glass display case. I display two things; models that I have built and "obsolete objects."


I enjoy building scale models. I have a few in my classroom at the Bartlett. In my glass case, I have a series of US battleships that shows the development of these immense ships over time. I have an aircraft carrier and a few planes I have recently built.


The "obsolete objects" are a collection of things that were once every day items in my life that society no longer uses. I have a record album, 8-track and cassette tapes, my video iPod (5th generation from 2005 (and yes, it still works)), my iPod shuffle and about 50 other items, many of which, you would be hard pressed to identify. Remember, I'm old so I've seen a lot of changes in my life.





Next, I have my father's medals and his sword. My dad served in the Marines and fought in the Korean War. Unfortunately, my dad passed away about 2 years ago. He gave these treasures to me before he passed. I miss him all the time.  I would love to bring the sword into school. It has beautiful engravings on the blade. Unfortunately, bringing weapons into school is frowned upon.


I also have some models that are kind of failed attempts. 


In the back left corner, is where I build and paint scale models. I’m currently working on a model of the Apollo 11 moon landing.


By the way, the picture of the ship over my modeling area is the wreck of the SS America. I have this thing for ships - I love big, steel ships.


Next to this picture is a Nerf Bow ’n Arrow. Yes, it works. It was a gift from my youngest child. When he was born, I worked for a toy company that made Nerf products, board games like Monopoly, and other toys. 





My desk area is where I spend 90% of my time when I'm in here. I have photographs that are important to me on the walls, knickknacks, my computer and other assorted desk-like items. I have a plant that is usually on the windowsill of my classroom. This plant was given to me by a student about 5 years ago. At that time, it was smaller than my thumb. 

This is where I’m spending my time right now. 


This is where I’m zooming from with you. I know I have a virtual background right now, but just because I have a very bright window right behind me when I zoom.


No comments:

Post a Comment