Wednesday, March 5, 2014

It's Yo-yo Season!


On this day in 1963, the Hula-Hoop, a hip-swiveling toy that became a huge fad across America when it was first marketed by Wham-O in 1958, was patented by the company's co-founder, Arthur "Spud" Melin. An estimated 25 million Hula-Hoops were sold in its first four months of production alone.
I kind of missed the hula-hoop craze but I did have one and I think all my friends did, too. It seemed like there were seasons to the toys we brought to school to play with. 
There was yo-yo season, where it seemed like everyone had a yo-yo and was learning tricks with it. If you didn’t have one, best get yourself down to the five-and-dime and pick one up.
After yo-yos, it was water guns – something that would never be permitted in today’s schools, but times were different then. All of a sudden, everyone had a little squirt gun in their pocket and you were attacked without warning or provocation. Walk around a corner and squirt, squirt, squirt all over your face and shirt.
One year, everyone had love beads. Yes, love beads. We strung them together and wore them around our necks. My Marine-drill-sergeant father saw them around my neck and, without saying a word, made it crystal clear that he did not approve.
Frisbees, Silly Putty, Super Balls, caps, jump ropes, and more all made their annual appearance on the playground.
It’s not like that today, that I can see. Are kids more mature than my generation was? Do these toys not amuse this generation?
Maybe not, with their bent towards electronic amusement, they might find actual toys boring. 
I just think they’re missing out on some fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment