Monday, March 24, 2014

The Past, The Present, The Future


I had the pleasure of attending the Greek Independence Day reception at City Hall Saturday evening. 

It was quite an event. I learned a lot about Greek history and its strong connection to Lowell. I learned things about my school that I did not know and I got to see the 6th grade perform three Greek dances. 

I think the most important part of the evening for me, was how impressed I was with the strong sense of heritage and community the attendees felt. It was evident in everything they did Saturday night. 

It must be wonderful to share that bond with people, to have such a powerful connection to the past, the present and the future.

I don’t have much of a connection to my own heritage. In fact, I have only the briefest sketch of what that heritage even looks like. 

Saturday night, I had a glimpse of what I’ve missed out on and I’m poorer for not having it.

No comments:

Post a Comment