Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sitting and Waiting


Sometimes I wonder if my students really think I wave them all goodbye at the end of the day, then sit at my desk waiting for them to return in the morning.

Some must realize that I have a life outside the four walls of The Hellenic because they ask.

“Mr. McKellar, what do you do after school?”

Just to set the record straight; I do not sit at my desk from 2:30 p.m. to 7:25 a.m. I leave and do things.

Monday, we have STEM, so I don’t leave until 3:30 or so. Then, I tutor an 8th grade student in Math and Science.

Tuesday, I leave school and go to school. That’s the night my graduate classes are on, so I go from leading the class to being a student in the class.

Wednesday, we have Math Maniacs until 3:15. After that, I do marketing work for a local business. I distribute flyers, put together email lists, set up meetings and promotional events.

Thursday and Friday, I have a part-time job stocking the candy and magazines at some retail stores. 

Saturday, I often have an event to do for Mad Science. Mad Science presents science-based birthday parties, school vacation clinics, after school programs, and summer camps. My job title: Mad Scientist.

Sunday I have a long-standing job cleaning a fitness facility. I’ve been doing this job for 12 years. The facility is the Curves my wife owns and she’s a stern task-master.

So, you see, I don’t just sit and wait. I’ve got a lot of stuff to do, but none of it is as important as what I do between 7:25 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment