Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Have I Harmed My Students’ Psyche?


A school in England has told its teachers to stop using red pens to correct papers and tests. The school’s vice principal told reporters that red is a “very negative color.”

Instead, they are to use green pens, and to make sure they make two or three positive comments on all homework papers. The students can respond to those comments and are instructed to use a purple pen to do so. 

Really?

Seriously?

Is this the silliest thing you’ve ever heard?

I’ve been using a red pen to correct homework, quizzes, tests and projects all year. Have I harmed my students’ psyche?

I use red because it stands out on the papers. I have students who use black, blue, purple and green ink, plus pencil for their work. Red stands out so they can see my comments and corrections.

I can just see it now: in 25 years, after all teachers have been using green ink to correct students’ work, green will be perceived as a “negative color,” and we’ll have to go back to a nice, neutral color like...red.

No comments:

Post a Comment