Friday, May 15, 2020

Milkweed Bugs, Friday, May 15, 2020

My last observation was Monday, so it’s been four days since then.  We've had a big development with one of the min-habitats.

  • Mini-habitat #1 A group of milkweed bugs was still clustered around the air holes near the top. I do not know if this is about air, or maybe sunlight because that part of the bag gets more light, or something else. (See photo)

















  • Mini-habitat #2 There are three distinct groups of bugs in various places in the habitat. I wonder if this clustering is a behavior typical of milkweed bugs.  (See photo)




















  • Mini-habitat #4 There is a large group of bugs clustered together near the air holes. I do not know what the behavior is about. Are they getting enough air? (See photo) 


















  • Mini-habitat #5 The largest of these bugs are much smaller than the ones in the Extras habitat. I see some clutches in the cotton. (See picture)



















  • Mini-habitat #7 The last adult died this week. This is the last observation of this habitat. This pair never had offspring. I do not know why.  

  • Mini-habitat - Extras - Some of these bugs are nearly full sized. I can’t tell the adults we started with from their largest offspring.  (See picture)






















My wife peeked in while I was doing these observations. She was grossed out by all the bugs hanging in bags on the back of my office door. 

I will make more observations on Tuesday of next week…watch your email for a notification of when I post. Secret code word: Goodbye Seven.


Stay safe!


Contact information: 
Remind: text @497h7k to 81010

No comments:

Post a Comment