Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Milkweed Bugs, Wednesday, May 27, 2020

My last observation was last Tuesday, so it’s been a week.   

  • Mini-habitat #1 My masking tape experiment did not change their behavior. Even with the sun blocked out over their usual grouping spot, they still grouped up.  I’m not sure what that’s about, but it’s happening in all the bags. Maybe they just group up in the highest parts of the milkweed plants… (See photo)

















  • Mini-habitat #2 I have not taken the moldy food bag out yet, I’ll do that this week.   (See photo)



















  • Mini-habitat #4 Judging by their size, we have a lot of mature bugs now. I have not seen any mating yet in this bag. (See photo) 


















  • Mini-habitat #5 Still no evidence of mating. This water container ran dry, so I filled it up a lot, this time. (See picture)


















  • Mini-habitat - Extras - Still no evidence of mating. I would expect to see that behavior in this bag first, just because there are so many bugs in here.   (See picture)







I am beginning to think about the end of school. What do I do with all these bugs?  I can not release them into the wild, they have been breed to eat only sunflower seeds and I do not have any sunflowers near me. Hmmmmmmmmm...

I will make more observations on later this week…watch your email for a notification of when I post.  

Stay safe!


Contact information: 
Remind: text @497h7k to 81010

No comments:

Post a Comment