Thursday, May 7, 2020

Milkweed Bugs, Thursday, May 7, 2020

My last observation was Sunday, so it’s been four days since my last observation.  Today, I will be sure to include a picture of each mini-habitat.

  • Mini-habitat #1 A few of the nymphs have gotten really big. (See photo)






  • Mini-habitat #2 There are still almost all the nymphs near the cotton and sunflower seeds.. (See photo)




















  • Mini-habitat #4 Both original adults are still alive. No mating observed recently There are molted exoskeletons all over the habitat. I tried to get a picture of one -that black thing near the top of the picture is an exoskeleton that was molted from a developing milkweed bug. (See photo) 




















  • Mini-habitat #5 I could not find the last remaining adult today. I will check again in a few days. The clutch I found a few observations ago seems to be slowly turning a reddish/orange color. (See picture)


















  • Mini-habitat #7 The last adult in this habitat is on the water supply paper towel but is barley moving at all. It does not appear to be drinking. When I jostled the bag it seemed to slowly move with great effort. We might be near the end of the line for this habitat. (See picture)




















  • Mini-habitat - Extras - It is milkweed bug mayhem in this habitat. There are lots of bugs of many different sizes.  They are growing fast.  (See picture)











I will make more observations on Monday of next week…watch your email for a notification of when I post.

Stay safe!


Contact information: 
Remind: text @497h7k to 81010

No comments:

Post a Comment