Thursday, January 23, 2014

Be Careful What You Wish For...


Everyone’s all excited about a snow day. I understand. It’s nice to have a day off once in a while. It’s like a little bonus from the weather – Thank you Danielle Niles.
But, be careful what you wish for. Sometimes you get more than you expect.
One of the years when I was in school we had a bad winter. We had lots of snow days. We had so many snow days that school was going to end on a Monday in late June.
Of course, I was a kid and I had no plans or commitments in June. I had my bike to ride and my fishing pole but they’d both wait a day or two for summer vacation to start. Besides, summer vacation seemed so loooooong to me. It seemed like almost forever. So what was one day less? Not a big deal to me.
But, it was a very big deal to the teachers and administrators. They wanted to end the year on a Friday not a Monday. They wanted summer vacation to start that Saturday and not have to wait until the following Tuesday.
So, they got together, checked with the unions and superintendent’s office and made a decision: School would be held on a Saturday in May.

Yes, they made us go to school on Saturday.
It was the worst.
They divided the students in to the “good” students and the “bad” students.
The good students got to play games and have triple recess and cupcakes at the end of the day. The bad students had to do their regular work all day with just a regular recess and no cupcakes.
Guess who was in the bad group?
You got it – Me.
It was the worst school day in my entire life.
And, I’m still pretty mad about it.
So, be careful what you wish for, sometimes you get more than you expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment