Monday, January 13, 2014

The Teacher As Student


I am enrolled in the American International College masters program.  It’s a highly compressed program so I attend class one night per week from 4:30 to 9:15 and complete a class in 8 to 9 weeks. In between classes, I usually have a significant amount of work to do. 

So, one day a week I teach all day and then turn around and become the student. 
To be sure, it makes for a really long day. I leave the house at 6:30am and don’t return until about 9:30pm. By that time, I’m tired and it’s a tired I feel all the next day.

Each teacher I’ve had has had her own style and way of doing things. It’s a bit of an
adjustment but not as much as one might think. 

The biggest adjustment for me hasn’t been the teacher to student swap, but the fact that, before I started this program, I had not sat in a classroom as a student since the Reagan administration.  

And that was a very long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment