Monday, January 27, 2014

Reading is FUNdamental


I like to read. I’ve been a reader as long as I can remember. In middle school, I would scour the shelves of the school library for interesting books. Sometimes I would be so engrossed in a book that I’d sneak-read it in class, or read while walking home from school. 

Reading can take me places I’ve never been and will never go  - into the past and into the future. I can be physically sitting in my dentist’s waiting room but my mind is on the Patriot’s sideline in the Superbowl. Reading is a fantastic escape and a fantastic way to learn in the process.

If you’ve ever thought “I wonder what it would be like to......” then you should be reading. 

Each year, I set a goal of reading 20 books including one classic piece of literature. I’m not a fast reader, but I am relentless. I always have a book with me. 


After years and years of reading almost no fiction, I decided to include more fiction a few years ago. For the fourth consecutive year, I reached my goal. As I look over my list of books, I have to say, I read a lot of good books this past year. Here’s my take on them:

The Education of a Coach - Outstanding book about Bill Belichick and his father.

British Soldiers, American War: Voices of the American Revolution - This book was written by a friend of mine from high school and college. I’ve always had an interest in history, but truth be told, I wanted to read it because I knew the author. What a good decision on my part. It is an excellent book about the British army from the revolutionary war. Interesting from page one. 

Francona: The Red Sox Years - Francona got screwed here in Boston - not that he was entirely blame-free for what happened in 2011, but this is his take on his years in Boston. It’s a must-read for Red Sox fans.

The Lost World - This was Jurassic Park thirty years before Michael Crichton was born. It holds up really well despite being written in 1912. An enjoyable read. 

The Truth About Cruise Ships - A Cruise Ship Officer Survives the Work, Adventure, Alcohol, and Sex of Ship Life - Guess what? There’s a lot of sex and drinking in the crew spaces below decks. It was okay.

The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World - I can not get my head around particle physics. It makes no sense to me. I read this book but understood little. I keep trying to understand.

Under the Dome: A Novel - This is a really fun novel. Don’t confuse it with that crappy mini-series on TV. This is 1,000 page, page-turner.

A Storm Too Soon: A True Story of Disaster, Survival and an Incredible Rescue - I’ve read all of the author’s sea disaster stories and have loved each of them. He does a great job in this book. 

Duel - Richard Matheson’s novella that Steven Spielberg’s movie was based on. Why doesn’t this writer get more recognition?

Breaking Ships - I searched for a copy of this book for about six years before finding one. It’s outstanding. It’s a description of the ship breaking yards in Bangladesh. Men literally rip ships apart with blow torches and hand tools. It’s dangerous work and for many in this poverty stricken country it’s the only work. Fascinating and horrifying.


Resurrection: Salvaging the Battle Fleet at Pearl Harbor - An amazing accomplishment that is completely ignored in the history books.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War - I have to say, I didn’t enjoy the author’s first book - The Zombie Survival Guide. But, this was very good. The movie is based on the book, but as always, the book is better. I liked the structure - it works in a surprisingly effective way. 

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption - probably the best World War II book I’ve ever read. 

How To Talk So Kids Can Learn - Yawwwwwn.

Cockpit Confidential: Everything You Need to Know About Air Travel: Questions, Answers, and Reflections - So so. 

Their Skeletons Speak: Kennewick Man and the Paleoamerican World - Very interesting book about prehistory in North America. More of a coffee table book but I like pictures. 

The Great Gatsby - I read this after seeing the latest movie and my only question is to the writer/director/producer of the movie - “How on Earth do you have the stones to edit F. Scott Fitzgerald?”  They changed the ending of the story! This is a wonderful book and it’s one I should have been made to read in high school. (This fulfills my requirement to read one classic each year)


Stark Decency: German Prisoners of War in a New England Village - A German POW camp in New Hampshire? I knew it had existed but that was the extent of my knowledge. This book is the story of the camp, the prisoners, the guards and the townspeople. A nice little book about a forgotten part of our local history. 

Foundations of American Education: Becoming Effective Teachers in Challenging Times - Text book...ugh

Exceptional Lives: Special Education in Today's Schools - Text book...double ugh

The Forgotten 500: The Untold Story of the Men Who Risked All for the Greatest Rescue Mission of World War II - Despite taking four months to read this, it’s a very good book about a chapter of World War II history I had never heard of. Well worth your time.

Nora Waite - This novel was written my by teaching partner. Long ago I had heard of National Novel Writing Month and was interested in participating but the prospect of
writing 50,000 words in 30 days was overwhelming. This is her NaNoWriMo novel and it’s a magnificent accomplishment. Nora Waite is not something I would have picked off the shelf to read but it’s nice to expand one’s horizons. It’s very good, I enjoyed it. 


The War of the Worlds - This is not the first time I have read this, but I assigned it as an extra credit project in school, so I figured I’d refresh my memory. I’m amazed how well it holds up considering it was written before the fly swatter, tea bag, airplane and rocket, were invented. In fact the bicycle was a new enough invention that H.G. Wells features it prominently in the story. And excellent book that has spawned the famous Orson Wells radio broadcast and two movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment