Monday, January 13, 2014

Why I Loathe Mechanical Pencils in My Classroom


I told my students at The Hellenic American Academy on my very first day that I would prefer they did not use mechanical
pencils in my classes. I didn’t outright ban them but I told the students that mechanical pencils annoy me, and it is never wise to annoy the teacher.

I’m a big believer in keeping things simple. There’s not much in the world that’s more simple than a pencil. The mechanical version just adds unnecessary complications and drama.

“Can I go to my locker and get some more lead?”

“Do you have any lead I can borrow?”

“I dropped my lead and Timmy is stepping on them.”

“My lead won’t stay in.”

“My eraser keeps falling out.”

You see? The pencil isn’t the problem. The problem is the distractions, interruptions and attention breaks.

Just keep it simple - bring a pencil... preferably, pre-sharpened.

No comments:

Post a Comment