Friday, January 17, 2014

How I Weigh My Grades


I have three categories of grades in my math and science classes. I have assigned weights to them in proportion to their importance in the assessment process, as I see it. 

Homework - 5%
Quizzes and small projects - 25%
Tests and large projects - 70%

Homework is practice for what we’ve covered in class or prep for what we’re about to cover. I don’t collect every single homework assignment. Sometimes we go over it in class, sometimes I collect and review it. I leave it a little unpredictable. When I collect and review homework, I don’t grade it - it’s either done or it’s not done. I make written comments and suggestions on the homework I review. 


Quizzes and small projects are limited assessments on what we’ve been working on. Small bites, if you will. The students’ performance tells me where we are - can we move on or do we need to spend more time on the topic? Do I need a different approach and/or do some individuals need extra help? I give quizzes a relatively light weight so the students have room to make mistakes and still earn a high grade in the class.

The test or large project is the 800 pound gorilla in my classes. They count for 70% of the quarter grade. This is the time for the students to prove to me that they have mastered the material we have been working on. 

One might think my tests are pressure-packed events - it’s do or die for the quarter. But, here’s the rub: I take most of my test questions from the quizzes and most of my quiz questions from the homework. 

If students do the homework, they’re already prepared for the quiz. If they do well on the quizzes, they’re ready for the test. If they don’t, the quiz points them to the areas they most need to work on.

The classwork and homework is the foundation of how I teach. If students choose not to do homework, theoretically, they can still earn a 95 in the class - but they have to get a 100 on every quiz, project and test. 

Of course, the likelihood that they’ll be able to do that without doing the homework is extremely low.

So, a word to the wise: Do your homework!

No comments:

Post a Comment