Sunday, March 22, 2020

The Little Plant That Could

You may have noticed the plant I keep on the windowsill near my desk.

That plant was an end-of-year gift from a student at my old school. That means I’ve had it since June, 2016 - almost four years.

It was about half the size of my thumb when he gave it to me and I’ve taken care of it ever since. It’s doing well.

I’m not great at growing plants but this plant is resilient!

At the Bartlett, I never trust that the heat is going to work when we’re not in school - or even when we are in school (Remember Ms. Galvin’s 46 degree classroom?), so I always take it home during breaks at school.

In December, I put it in the cupholder in my car and then whacked it with my elbow while putting my seatbelt on. It lost several large leaves. Ugh.

Once, it fell off a windowsill at home. I was preparing to replace my kitchen countertop and knocked it off the windowsill and it came out of the container it was planted in. There it was: no dirt, roots showing, damaged leaves and it was stuck behind the plumbing for my sink. I thought it was a goner for sure, but I replanted it and it survived.

I’ve repotted it several times and I have no real idea of the best way to do that, I just get a larger container, add some potting soil and plop it into the new pot and it’s grown larger and larger. 

It just keeps growing. I water it every Friday before I leave school and that seems to be working. 

I'm not sure if it's thriving because of my care or in spite of my efforts, but its growing.


Contact information: 
Remind: text @497h7k to 81010

No comments:

Post a Comment