Saturday, April 4, 2020

Milkweed Bugs, Saturday, April 4, 2020

I got busy yesterday and forgot to do my observations. I left the house only once - to go to the dumpster and get the mail - but kept myself busy all day long. That helps to make the days go faster. 

  • Mini-habitat #1 Yes, we have nymphs in this bag too. There are still many clutches in the cotton, but now we have little milkweed bugs all over the habitat.
  • Mini-habitat #2 There are nymphs all over the bag. The clutch in the food netting has not hatched yet. (See picture to the right)
  • Mini-habitat #3 Nothing happening here. Just one live bug left. I’m gong to put it in with the extras. 
  • Mini-habitat #4 Lots of clutches and now we have nymphs. (see picture below, right)
  • Mini-habitat #5 We do have clutches now. 
  • Mini-habitat #6 Today is the day I move this single milkweed bug into the extras bag. 
  • Mini-habitat #7 I wonder if, somehow, we got two males or two females in this bag. I can’t get a good enough look to tell. Still no clutches and no mating.
  • Mini-habitat  - Nymphs - There is absolutely nothing alive in this bag. I am going to salvage so parts of the habitat and discard the rest. 
  • Mini-habitat - Extras - I think we have two dead adult milkweed bugs in this habitat. There are lots of nymphs and I think they are bigger than when I last did an observation - three days ago.


More observations to come on Monday, April 6th

Also, I created a new remind group for anonymous texting. Please join the remind group below and comment on today’s observations.


Contact information: 
Remind: text @497h7k to 81010

2 comments:

  1. So will we now be down to 5 observation bags and the extras? Since two bags only have 1 bug and no activity, and the nymph bag has no life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am coming back to mention, this is Tyler L. Realized later that my posts were coming up anonymous for some reason.

      Delete