Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Milkweed Bugs, Wednesday, April 8, 2020

I’m going to change my observation schedule to every third day, so I’ll post today, Saturday, Tuesday, Friday and so on. (4/8, 4/11, 4/14, 4/17)

  • Mini-habitat #1 There is still a lot of activity here. Many nymphs and still lots of clutches. Both adults were on the food bag.
  • Mini-habitat #2 I think we may have lost of of our adults. There is an adult big in the netting for the food and it is not moving. 
  • Mini-habitat #4 Lots of tiny nymph here. The larger of the two adults (the female, I think) was walking around on the top of the cotton in circles. It was almost like how a dog will walk around in circles to find just the right stop to relieve himself. I wonder if she is laying eggs. I will check in a few days and see if there is a clutch at the top of the cotton.  
  • Mini-habitat #5 Finally we have nymphs in this bag!
  • Mini-habitat #7 These adult milkweed bugs don’t even seem to get near each other. 
  • Mini-habitat - Extras -A lot of activity in this habitat. One pair was mating. Many nymphs. (See picture) 

More observations to come on Saturday, April 11th

Bartlett staffers are reaching out to students who do not have computers, internet and/or tablets. If you have not been contacted, or did not fill our Mr. Foss’ survey, contact me ASAP please. 

If the district is going to loan out computers, I want any of my students to get what they need.

Please join the remind group below and comment on today’s observations.


Contact information: 
Remind: text @497h7k to 81010

2 comments:

  1. Do you think the 2 adults in bag 7 are both males maybe? When the adults die, do you remove them? Or are you not trying to disturb the habitat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grrr! Again, this is Tyler L. btw. I do not know WHY it is showing up as anonymous...

      Delete