Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Milkweed Bugs, Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Lots of new bugs and some troubling lack of activity.

  • Mini-habitat #1I can identify at least 8 clutches in this bag. The really red one from two days ago, it now a group of many nymphs.
  • Mini-habitat #2 There are many nymphs and one clutch in the bag. 
  • Mini-habitat #3 I don’t think there is anything going on in this bag. We have one live adult bug and that’s it. If I see no other life in here, I’m dumping this bug into the extras bag. 
  • Mini-habitat #4 The bugs were mating again, and I think there are more clutches now than two days ago. 



  • Mini-habitat #5 There are at least 3 clutches in this bag, that I had not seen before. Maybe the female was laying eggs the last time I observed. 
  • Mini-habitat #6 Again, no changes. One live adult. No clutches that I can see. I will move this bug into the extras bag if I do not see any changes next time I observe.
  • Mini-habitat #7 Still, no clutches.
  • Mini-habitat  - Nymphs - I took a really close look today with my magnifying goggles and could not find anything moving inside. I will look very closely again Friday, and if nothing is alive in this bag, that will be the end for this mini-habitat.
  • Mini-habitat - Extras - There are all sized nymphs and milkweed bugs in this bag. Again, one pair was mating what I looked today. 


Friday is going to be an important observation day for our bugs. We have some bags where there is no and almost no activity.

Are you out there? Are you reading these? Please, make a comment so I won’t feel like I’m all alone in this project.


Contact information: 
Remind: text @497h7k to 81010

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mr. Mckellar,

    Tyler here. Just saw these. I am reading this one and will try to catch up on the others from March. I hope you are well. Everything is good here so far.

    OwO
    Ty

    ReplyDelete