Thursday, April 30, 2020

Milkweed Bugs, Thursday, April 30, 2020

My last observation was Tuesday, so it’s been just two days since my last observation. I was concerned about the water levels so I’m double checking those today.\

  • Mini-habitat #1 We have lost both of our original adults, so now all the milkweed bugs in the habitat are the offspring of those two. It’s a pretty impressive number of offspring. (See photo)

  • Mini-habitat #2 The remaining adult in this habitat has also died. Lots of nymphs and they are all offspring of the first two bugs we started with. (See photo)

















  • Mini-habitat #4 We still have two adults in this bag. The nymphs are maturing and getting larger. I wonder when we will see mating again?  (See photo) 


















  • Mini-habitat #5 I noticed another clutch in this habitat. I think we only have one adult left in here, but I’m not 100% certain (See picture)



















  • Mini-habitat #7 Still one adult all alone. (See picture)



















  • Mini-habitat - Extras - At the bottom of this habitat I can see the molted exoskeletons of milkweed bugs. It’s hard to get a good picture but they look like black milkweed bugs, but it’s really just their old, too-small, exoskeletons.   (See pictures)




















I will make more observations on Sunday of this week…watch your email for a notification of when I post.

Don’t forget to turn in your work on Friday and share pictures of your projects - plants, pinhole cameras, etc…

Stay safe!


Contact information: 
Remind: text @497h7k to 81010

No comments:

Post a Comment